Welcome to a new school year! We are all looking forward to those bright shining smiles filling the halls and classrooms again. It is much too quiet when the students are not here!
This is our first test of the email distribution lists that we use to contact our families. If you are receiving this at multiple email addresses, and you would rather have it at only one, please let us know and we will adjust the list.
There are just a few things you need to know before the school year officially begins:
- We will have our St. Mary Open House on Sunday (8/9) from 12:00 – 1:00. The students may bring their school supplies, visit the classroom, and meet their teachers so they are comfortable and excited for the first day of school on Tuesday (8/11).
- There is also an Ice Cream Social in the Bishop’s Memorial Hall from 12:00 – 2:00 to welcome everyone back!
- Watch the mail for a welcome note from your child’s teacher next week!
- The doors will open at 7:30 on Tuesday morning (8/11) and school will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m.
- Morning drop-off is explained more thoroughly in the attached note, but here is a quick explanation. Families will pull into the first entrance of the top lot and drive around to the chapel doors. There will be a teacher on duty to greet the students and help them out of the car so the line can move quickly and smoothly. If you prefer to walk your child into the school, please park your car and take your child by the hand to walk them safely through the line of cars.
- There are two lots that are used for dismissal – the top lot and the lower lot. Please see the attached note that explains your choices. Often new families take the first week to try each lot and then decide which one they prefer. Please send a note with your child to give their teacher so they know which lot they will be meeting their parents.
- School will dismiss at 2:00 on the FIRST day of school. (Dismissal for all other days will be the regular 3:00 time.)
- There is no After School Care on the first day of school. It will begin Wednesday (8/12) at 3:00 p.m.
- All students will need to bring their lunch and a drink during the month of August. Please remember that they will need lunch on the first day and all of August (unless they are Morning Kindergarten students). Hot lunch and milk will begin in September.
- Our first all school Mass will be on Friday (8/14) for Grades 1 – 3. (Kindergarten will join us soon after the teachers have prepared the students.) The official uniform will be worn on all school Mass days, but shorts for the boys are fine until the temperature cools down.
- The school office folder will come home with your child on the first day of school. It will come home every Wednesday thereafter throughout the school year. This is our primary way of communicating with you, so we ask that you please take a few minutes to read the important papers and fill out the forms that must be returned to school. It is very helpful to have the papers and office folder returned the next day if at all possible.
- We are in need of volunteers to help with the front playground so that the children can enjoy playing on the equipment in smaller groups. We will work on putting together a volunteer schedule, so please let us know if you are available to help any day from 11:00 – 12:00. We are also always in need of substitutes to help supervise lunch and/or recess in the absence of the regular helpers. There will be sign up sheets at the Open House.
- KINDERGARTEN AND NEW FAMILIES: Please make sure you have turned in the Immunization form, birth certificate, and baptismal certificate to the school office. You can fax (742-7060), email to Mrs. Marcussen (email@example.com) or bring them to the front office anytime.